Notes From Moving House
Those of you who are kind enough to follow my ramblings on Twitter will know that I was offline for a few days moving house. Random thoughts/suggestions from the same to follow:
- If you are moving to an unfurnished/semi-furnished house, get yourself a tape measure. The number of additional trips I made to furniture shops because I did not have one was just dumb
- Also, get yourself magnetized screwdrivers. Hunting for tiny screws in the chaos from packing/unpacking just isn’t worth it
- We slapped labels on all our boxes identifying the room it had to go to and what was in the box. Makes unpacking a lot easier when you don’t have to rip through all the boxes to figure out what you need first
- The stuff that you box up first because you don’t need it? Yeah, you’re going to open that box half-a-dozen times before you move, having to shift 10 other boxes every time to get at it.
- If you don’t use this as an opportunity to throw out old crap you never will.
- Don’t even bother thinking you will be able to assemble Ikea furniture yourself – just pay the damn installation/delivery charge and save yourself the hassle. Even those guys wind up with extra screws that seem to do nothing!
- Keep your cellphone charger handy – moving/furnishing house tends to burn through battery life like crazy and being stuck in an empty house with a dead cellphone is no fun.
- Expect to blow your budget in unexpected ways and buffer accordingly. I had to pay for a technician to come out and fix my POTS line (yes i’m old fashioned)
- Remember that eventually it’ll be all done and it’ll all be worth it.